LiveVideoEducation is made up of Courses, which are basically pages containing the learning materials teachers want to share with their students. A teacher in a LiveVideoEducation course can select items from three different elements which together assist in the learning process. They are: Activities, Resources and Blocks.
- An Activity in LiveVideoEducation is a feature where students learn by interacting with each other or with their teacher. They might for instance contribute in a Forum, upload an Assignment, answer questions in a Quiz or collaborate together in a Wiki. Activities can be graded.
- A teacher can add activities by turning on the editing and choosing an activity by clicking 'Add an activity or resource' in a course section. They then select an activity from the activity chooser. (If the activity chooser has been turned off, a dropdown menu appears instead.) Activities usually appear in the central area of the course.
- A Resource in LiveVideoEducation is an item that a teacher can add to a LiveVideoEducation course to support learning, such as a file, a video or link to a website. A resource differs from an activity in that it is static; ie, the student can only look at or read it, not participate.
- A teacher can add resources by turning on the editing and by clicking Add an activity or resource in a course section. They then select a resource from the activity chooser.(If the activity chooser has been turned off, a drop down menu appears instead.) Resources usually appear in the central area of the course.
- A Block in LiveVideoEducation is an item that a teacher can add to the left or right of a LiveVideoEducation course page. They provide extra information or links to aid learning. Blocks are a bit like "widgets" elsewhere online and can contain; for example, RSS news feeds, Quiz Results, a Calendar, links to blogs, glossary terms or private files. There is also a simple HTML Block which can be customised as the teacher wishes.
- A teacher can add blocks by turning on the editing and choosing from the "Add a block" drop down which is usually on the bottom right side of the course page. Blocks usually appear on the sides of the course.